DUI and work restricted license

DUI and work restricted license

Question: I was arrested for a DUI in Van Nuys.  I do not want to get a DUI conviction, but I really can’t afford to lose my drivers license for a year.  I need it for work,  and for my kids to take them for school and everything.  Can I get a work restricted drivers license?  I know someone who got a DUI conviction and was told that he could not get any kind of restricted license.

Answer:  Generally speaking, yes, you can get a restricted license. You should speak with a DUI attorney in detail about your case. I would be happy to speak with you in more detail. It may be possible to get your DUI charge dismissed. Also, I can request a DMV hearing for you so your license is not suspended 30 days after the arrest. Note that there is a 10 day window from the arrest date to request that DMV hearing. When I request DMV hearings, I also have them issue a new temporary license so there is not an automatic suspension.

Your friend that you were discussing, was he convicted of a refusal of giving a breath or blood test after he was arrested?  If there is a refusal conviction or loss on a refusal at DMV, then you can not get a restricted drivers license and have to sit out the entire driver license suspension.  But if it is not a refusal situation, then you would be eligible for the restricted option.

Note that if you are convicted of a DUI in Los Angeles County, there is a required IID restricted license.  Call me to discuss in further detail if you would like. I regularly handle cases in Van Nuys Court, which is right around the corner from my office.


Phil Hache
DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, San Fernando, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Metro, Bellflower, Alhambra, Malibu, Compton, Inglewood and other Courts.
Office in Sherman Oaks