License restricted after getting an IID installed in California for a 2nd DUI?

Length Driver License restricted after getting an IID in California for a 2nd DUI

Question:  Hi.  I was convicted of a 2nd DUI in Van Nuys not to long ago.  I was not really aware that I had to install an interlock device on my car.  Admittedly, I think I did hear this in passing when I was at court, but there was so  much going on that I missed it apparently.

How long will my license be restricted for after getting an IID installed in California for a 2nd DUI?  And is it true that I have to wait 1 year before I can get it?  So I can’t drive for 1 year, then have to get the interlock license after that?  Seems like a long time to have issues with my driver license just because I got a 2nd DUI.  The first dui was about 6 years ago in San Fernando Court if that helps at all.  Len

Answer:  To clarify for other people who may be reading this, there is always an Interlock required for any DUI conviction in Los Angeles county, or the other three pilot counties in California as of the time this post was made.  This is required by the DMV, and enforced through the Court as a term of probation, as well as the DMV as far as getting your full driver’s license reinstated.

It is possible that the Court can order an Interlock device separately as well, so just because you are not in a pilot county does not automatically mean that you avoided any Interlock device requirement, particularly if this is a 2nd DUI, 3rd DUI, etc., or a DUI with accident and injury.

Now, getting to your question, after a 2nd DUI conviction within 10 years, you will have to serve a 2 year Drivers license suspension (with restricted license eligibility before that) before getting your full driving privileges reinstated. That is assuming there are no other issues with your drivers license.  Of that time, you will be required by the DMV to get an Interlock device (and thus an Interlock restricted license) for 12 months through the DMV.  You can either wait 1 year of no driving, then get the Interlock restricted license for 1 year, or you can try to get the Interlock restricted license 90 days after your alcohol based 2nd DUI conviction.

If you chose to get your Interlock restricted license after 90 days, then after 12 months of that you can either convert it to a work restricted license, or keep the Interlock device installed and keep your Interlock restricted license if you prefered.

Please feel free to contact me at 818-336-1DUI if you have any other questions regarding the IID or your case.

Phil Hache
DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, San Fernando, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Metro, Bellflower, Alhambra, Malibu, Compton, Inglewood and other Courts.
Office in Sherman Oaks