Interlock restriction for 2nd DUI even if I sit out a year

Question: Can I do a 1 year hard suspension on my license and receive a restricted licence, or do I have to get he ignition interlock? I have 2 dui convictions from 2010. I’m almost finished with my 18 month program and I’m looking to get my license back. last year I was told that I could do 1 year hard suspension in leu of the IID, but when I went to get my license I was told that that was no longer true.
Answer: When were you convicted of the 2nd offense DUI? before or after July 1, 2010? Also, what county were your DUI’s in? If your 2nd DUI was in Los Angeles County after July 1, 2010 (or one of the 3 other pilot counties), you will be required by DMV to get an IID for 1 year. It is possible to get exemptions from it, but the DMV appears to be requiring the IID installation at some point if you want to get your full license back (even if you sit out the first year). You can verify with the DMV Mandatory Actions Unit. I have checked with them in the past and was given the above answer.
Phil Hache
DUI & Criminal Defense Lawyer