Santa Clarita DUI but live in Las Vegas

Santa Clarita DUI but live in Las Vegas

Question:  I was arrested for a DUI in Santa Clarita and later convicted for the DUI.  It was a first DUI and I had no record before that.  Part of my sentence was that I had to do an alcohol program. Since the conviction, I got a job offer in Las Vegas, NV.  I currently have a CA driver’s license.

My question is can I take a DUI class in Las Vegas if I got my DUI in Los Angeles, California?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am twenty eight years old.

Also, out of curiousity, would it have been different if I was convicted of a wet and reckless instead of a DUI?

Answer:  The quick answer is yes, as long as it is approved by the court.  I have had clients in similar situations for clients and was able to get the court approve their program transferred to another county or state.

Keep in mind that even if the court approves you doing the alcohol program in Las Vegas, it would not satisfy the California DMV.  If you live in Las Vegas, you may be eligible for what is known as a 1650 waiver through the DMV.

Basically, the 1650 waiver allows someone to get a CA license reinstated after 3 years if you can establish that you live out of state.  It is a little more complicated than that.

To answer your second question, if  you were convicted of a wet reckless and had the DUI charges dismissed, then you probably would have been all set as far as that is concerned.   There is no mandatory drivers license suspension from the DMV based on a wet reckless conviction like there is for a DUI conviction.

Feel free to contact me or the DMV if you have more questions about this.  In the event I do not hear from you, best of luck with everything.