Restraining Order against daughter’s father

Question: Can I get a restraining order against the father of my daughter?

My baby daddy has been physically and emotionally abusive towards me. I have no been with him for over 3 months because I was sick of getting beat on and talked down to. He has hit me in front of my 1 and half year old girl. We don’t have any custody orders at the moment, but I am trying my hardest to get custody soon. He is very unstable towards my daughter and never really sees her, but when he does he’s abusive towards me. I want something that will protect me from his further abuse.

Answer: Yes, if the father of your daughter is being abusive to you as you stated, you can file a Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO) against him. Initially the Judge may sign a temporary restraining order, then there would be a hearing to determine if the Judge would issue a permanent restraining order (ie. usually for a time frame between 1 to 3 years). I would highly recommend consulting with an attorney to discuss your situation in more detail as the DVRO process can be a bit confusing and the chances of success increase with a knowledgeable attorney representing you.

Feel free to call me at 818-336-1384 as I handle these matters and have a great track record doing so. In the meantime, you can access more information about DVRO’s here: Domestic Violence Restraining Order

Sincerely, Philip Hache, Attorney