Question: I was convicted of a 2nd DUI in Van Nuys not to long ago. Is it possible to get a restricted license? I know I was able to get one after my 1st DUI, but that was in Metro Court in Downtown Los Angeles and do not know if that plays into it.

Answer: To answer your first question, you can get a restricted license after 90 days if you get an Interlock Device, as well as comply with other terms required by the DMV (ie. SR-22 form, issuance fee….). The law that allows that is relatively new, so this is a common question that I get a lot. I will update my website to have more detailed information on this if you want to check back on the “DUI Info” tab in a few days. As far as your second question, generally speaking, in regards to getting a restricted license for a 2nd DUI, it would not make a difference whether your 2nd DUI conviction was in Van Nuys Court or Metro court in downtown L.A.


Phil Hache
DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, San Fernando, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Metro, Bellflower, Alhambra, Malibu, Compton, Inglewood and other Courts.
Office in Sherman Oaks