Question: I have a violation in Texas for a DUI. Can I hire an attorney in California to handle it?

California Resident with DUI in Texas

Question:  I was arrested and have a violation in Texas for a DUI.  I am a resident of California though and was just in Texas for a week when I was arrested.  Can I hire an attorney in California to handle the case in Texas?  Are the DUI laws in Texas the same as they are in California?

Answer:  The attorney you hire has to be licensed in TX to handle the matter. Generally speaking, it makes much more sense to hire an attorney that is familiar with the Court your matter would be heard in. In my opinion, going with an experienced DUI attorney who has a practice in Texas makes more sense since the charges will be handled in Texas.  It is unlikely that an attorney that has offices in California would be handling your DUI case directly.

As far as the DUI laws are concerned, although there is likely similarities between the DUI statutes in Texas and California, there are likely differences between the two.  I know the ins and outs of DUI law in California, but I am not familiar with the DUI laws in Texas.  That is another reason why it is important for you to speak with a DUI lawyer in Texas.

Good luck with your case.  If you need a referral to a DUI attorney in TX, feel free to contact me and I will see if I can help you.


Phil Hache
DUI Attorney