Post Conviction Bench Warrant

Question: I Just found out I have a 5 year old Post Conviction Bench Warrant in Los Angeles for a progress report for my DUI classes (which I’ve since completed in 2017).

I went to the LA County clerks office today to get paperwork to expunge all of my old cases (I’m 12 years sober so want to finally clean up my record). They told me I have an active bench warrant. I got a 2nd DUI in 2008 that I never took care of until getting stopped in 2015. At that time I was taken in on that warrant. Including in my penalty was that I complete a bunch of days of Caltrans and I had to complete the 18 month DUI program. I completed both.

In the paperwork of that case that the clerk gave me it showed I was in court Jan 2016 where I showed proof of finishing caltrans & proof of enrolling in the DUI school. But then it shows I was to come back April 2016 for a progress report. I was not aware I had another court date for a progress report. I missed it by error on my part.

But I was moving along in my DUI classes then so my progress would have been good. I completed the 18 month DUI classes Dec of 2017. I even got my license back that same week, and have had my license ever since. With the caltrans completed and the DUI classes completed I thought I was good and that the case was behind me. That was until today when I found out I have a bench warrant from 2016. Will I have to serve time for this? What should I do?

Answer: Hi, Sorry to hear that you are going through this. I know that sometimes it can be difficult and confusing to follow everything that is going on in court, and the Court requirements following a conviction. The good news is, I can help you with this. I handle these matters regularly helping people avoid additional sentencing consequences, removing the warrant, and truly getting cases behind them.

Ultimately the case needs to be put back on calendar, the warrant dealt with, and then the underlying case handled to convince the Judge not to penalize further based on the probation violation and missing the court date, and in your case, hopefully terminate probation while we are at it.

Call me at 818-336-1384 to discuss further. I would be happy to help you with this.


Philip Hache, Attorney