DMV hearing to get Driver’s License restored

Don’t fight the DMV alone. A Lawyer can help protect your driver license

DMV hearing to get license back

Question:  How do I get a DMV hearing in an effort to get my Driver’s License restored?  I’ve been driving without a driver’s license for almost 20 years now. My California Driver’s License was revoked back then after I got a couple of DUI’s.

I paid my fines, did my community service & served my jail time, but never went to the DUI classes like I was supposed to.  I’ve continued to drive daily without a moving violation for almost twenty years, but the people I spoke with at the DMV Office insist that no matter how long ago the DUI’s occurred, I still must attend & complete the DUI program.  Doesn’t it seem like they should just allow me to get my California Driver’s License at this point?  I have proven that I can drive safely.  What is the point of making me do the alcohol program so long after my DUI convictions?

My understanding is that this is an eighteen month program that I have to complete but I’d like a hearing to clarify this matter.  I’m now much older and much wiser than twenty years ago and I want to once again become a responsible licensed driver in California instead of looking over my shoulder constantly.

I’m more than willing to do whatever is required to get my license back, but no one at the DMV Office can answer my questions.  Is this something that you can help with?

Answer:  Unfortunately, I believe what the DMV has told you is accurate. Even though you were convicted of the DUI’s a long time ago, you will still need to complete the program to get your CA license reinstated. Once you are enrolled in the program, you can look into the option of getting a work restricted license. Then once the program that you need to do is completed, you can get your full license back (assuming there are no other driver’s license issues at that time).

Feel free to call me at (818) 336-1384 if you have any questions.  Unfortunately in this situation though, I don’t think there is much I can do for you.  I think you are going to have to enroll and complete the classes.  If you are going to enroll, I would recommend doing it sooner as opposed to later to avoid picking up a misdemeanor VC 14601 driving on a suspended license.

Attorney At Law – DUI and DMV hearings, Criminal Defense,  Traffic Matters