Canadian IID restricted license

Question: I’m a canadian with a DUI conviction in Canada and a conditional driver’s licence, meaning I can drive a car in Canada with an Ignition Interlock system installed on it… That being said, I wish to rent a car while on vacation in Los Angeles… Am I allowed to drive a rental car in Los Angeles, CA even though I have a conditional licence in Canada?
Answer: If your license is IID restricted in Canada, I would recommend only driving a car that is properly IID equipped. It is possible for a rental company to have a car equipped for you for a price. That being said, I’m not sure if you were pulled over in the U.S. and an officer ran your license, if the restriction would show up since your license is in a different country. Personally…I wouldn’t risk it.
Phil Hache
Criminal and DUI Defense Attorney