Replacing your attorney

Replacing your attorney

Question:  I can’t get my attorney to return my phone calls.  She has not responded to any of my calls.  Her secretary keeps saying she will call me back, but I have not heard from her once since I hired her almost two months ago. The first court date arraignment happened three weeks ago.  Other than her secretary telling me when the next court date was, I have not heard anything else even though I have called many times since that date.

Can I replace her with another attorney even though the arraignment already took place?  This whole “not returning phone calls” thing from her is very frustrating and I would like to possibly talk to you about replacing her if that is possible.

Answer: Yes, you can replace your attorney after arraignment. The new attorney would “sub-in” and become the attorney of record in your case.  I have been hired by many clients who decided for one reason or another that the original attorney they hired was not the one for them.  Often times it is because they don’t hear back from their attorney, or they thought they were getting one attorney but it’s a different attorney they never heard of going to court for them.  For my clients, they deal directly with me.

What are you being charged with?  What court is your case in?  When is your next court date? Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.  Replacing your attorney is something that has to be approved by the court, but generally not an issue, particulalry if you are doing it fairly early, and not on the eve of trial.


Phil Hache
DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, San Fernando, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Metro, Bellflower, Alhambra, Malibu, Compton, Inglewood and other Courts.
Office in Sherman Oaks