Question: Was it illegal for my son to get a ticket for unopened alcohol in Burbank?

Answer: If your son is under 21, it is illegal for him to have alcohol in his possession on any street or highway pursuant to B&P 25662. Since the alcohol was unopened and in the trunk of the car, there may be defenses that can be made. I would need to know a bit more about what led up to the cop searching the trunk. Where was your son parked, and was he parked there legally? Did he consent to a search of the trunk? Is the car registered in his name? Did he know the alcohol was there? Was he transporting the alcohol on behalf and at the instruction of the parent? etc. Contact me through or at 818-336-1384 if you would like to discuss in further detail. A minor in possession conviction as a misdemeanor charge is something he should try to avoid, and I suggest hiring an attorney. Not only would there be a criminal record, the penalties include large fines, and loss of drivers license for a year. Call me if you would like to discuss further. I have had success getting these charges dismissed.
Phil Hache,
Criminal Defense & DUI Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, CA, San Fernando, CA, Burbank, CA Glendale, CA Pasadena, CA Metropolitan Court, Bellflower, CA, Alhambra, CA, Malibu, CA, Compton, CA, Santa Clarita, CA, Airport Court, Chatsworth, CA Inglewood, CA, Los Angeles, CA and other Courts