Question: My first DUI in San Fernando, CA was when I was 17. My records were supposed to be sealed. I got another DUI conviction in Van Nuys, CA 8 months ago (I am 20 now). I need to be able to drive to work to pay for all my court costs. How can I get a restricted license?

Answer: Although the Van Nuys Court likely convicted you of a 1st offense DUI since you were a minor when you received the first one, the DMV will treat it as a second offense. Additionally, since you are under 21, there is a 1 year hard suspension even for a first offense DUI. I don’t believe that the new IID law will benefit you in this situation, but you can check in with the DMV and maybe something slipped through the cracks (ie., they missed the fact somehow that you are under 21). You also may be eligible for a critical needs license.
Phil Hache,
Criminal Defense & DUI Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, CA, San Fernando, CA, Burbank, CA Glendale, CA Pasadena, CA Metropolitan Court, Bellflower, CA, Alhambra, CA, Malibu, CA, Compton, CA, Santa Clarita, CA, Airport Court, Chatsworth, CA Inglewood, CA, Los Angeles, CA and other Courts