Question: I was caught in possession of marijuana with no intent to sell or anything of that sort. I was written a court date in a month, but lost the paper but I believe they are supposed to send a notice in the mail. What can I do about it and how long do I wait? What happens if I miss my Marijuana possession charge in Van Nuys Court?

Answer: I would not wait on notice to be mailed if they gave you a written citation with a court date on it. You should contact the court to find out when your next court date is. If you miss it, they will likely issue a bench warrant for your arrest based on failure to appear on a misdemeanor charge. Plus there is the issue of additional penalties for failure to appear. I would recommend hiring an attorney to handle this possession of marijuana charge for you as they may be able to get the charges dismissed or reduced, thus mitigating potential consequences.
Phil Hache,
Criminal Defense & DUI Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, CA, San Fernando, CA, Burbank, CA Glendale, CA Pasadena, CA Metropolitan Court, Bellflower, CA, Alhambra, CA, Malibu, CA, Compton, CA, Santa Clarita, CA, Airport Court, Chatsworth, CA Inglewood, CA, Los Angeles, CA and other Courts