Question: I received a 2nd DUI, first was in 1998. What type of penalty am I looking at for a 2nd DUI?

Answer: DUI’s for criminal court matters are compounded charges when within a 10 year period. I believe I have more info about it on But in short, if his first and only other DUI was in 1999, and his second was in 2011, then the court will charge him as if it were his first offense for court purposes. One option would be to fight the case. Consult an attorney to discuss the case in further detail to get more specific feedback.


Phil Hache
DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, San Fernando, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Metro, Bellflower, Alhambra, Malibu, Compton, Inglewood and other Courts.
Office in Sherman Oaks