Question: I got my 2nd DUI. 1st was in WA state, and 2nd in Los Angeles. 1st DUI was a .068 BAC

Answer: I am a little unclear about your post. Was your first DUI charge reduced to something lesser? Based on what your BAC level was at (.068) and if you were over 21 at that time and no accident, my guess is that is what happened, although I would need to speak to you in further detail to find out the particulars to give a real assessment.

If that is the case, and your DUI charge was reduced to something lesser than a DUI, then the current DUI charge should only be charged as a 1st offense DUI. Even if initially charged as a 2nd offense, it may be possible to get it charged as a first offense depending on the facts surrounding the WA Dui. This can potentially be done as a “motion to strike the prior” if that DUI (or reduced charge) in WA would not have amounted to a DUI had it occurred in California.

As for the probation violation, WA state would deal with that, not California…and they may or may not get around to doing anything about it if there is, in fact, a conviction.

As for the DMV, if the first offense was not a DUI conviction (because it was reduced), and there was no separate DMV action suspending your license, then it shouldn’t count against you in the current DUI action. Remember, you only have 10 days from the date of arrest to request a DMV hearing to protect your license.

All of this is assuming you were over 21 at the time of the first DUI. If you were under 21, there may have been different rules in WA (as there are in California when under 21). Feel free to call me to speak in more detail so I can better assess your case. Sounds like you made the rounds for calls already. I’m not sure who you called already, but be sure to speak to an experienced DUI attorney that is familiar with the laws of california, and how to fight priors when appropriate.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.