Question: Can you hire private counsel after being assigned a public defender if you are charged in California for a DUI?

Answer: Yes, and it happens all the time. Once you hire private counsel, they will then “substitute in” as the Attorney of Record. Usually that is done at the next scheduled hearing, but sometimes private counsel will “advance” the hearing in order to officially substitute in.

Phil Hache

DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, San Fernando, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Metro, Bellflower, Alhambra, Malibu, Compton, Inglewood and other Courts.
Office in Sherman Oaks