Question: Can police change your charges after they arrest you? I was pulled over for speeding, but then charged with DUI in San Fernando, CA. Also, not read miranda rights.

Answer: The Prosecutor can file charges against you that are different than what the arresting agency claimed they arrested you for. Also, even after charges are officially filed, a prosecutor can amend the complaint to add or take away charges. You can call me at 818-336-1384 if you would like to discuss your case in more detail. Also, if you were not read your miranda rights, then it may be possible for statements that you made after your arrest to be “suppressed” so they can not be used against you in Court. I would recommend consulting with an attorney to speak about your case in more detail.

Phil Hache,

DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Handling DUI and Criminal matters throughout Courts in Southern California including Van Nuys, CA, San Fernando, CA, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Metro, Bellflower, Alhambra, Malibu, Compton, Inglewood and other Courts.