Converting DUI fines to jail time

Converting DUI fines to jail time

Question:  I have 2 DUI’s from 2009 within a few months of each other.  I made a mistake (well a couple) and did not have a DUI lawyer for either of my cases, and got nailed on both of my cases with serious penalties.  I now have about $5500 in fines still due.  At this point I don’t want to pay and would prefer to just do jail time.  Can I serve time in jail for my fines?  If so how much time would I get sentenced to?

I also just started my classes.  I was just wondering cause now I’m on disability and thinking I would like to resolve this once and for all without having to pay the money.  I have not had any new cases since those two.  Thanks

Answer:  It may be possible to convert your fine to jail time. You would likely have to recall the case and bring it before the Judge to convert it. There are other issues that you are likely going to face as well. Since you did not comply with the terms of your probation, it is likely that the court violated your probation on both cases (if there were issues on both cases) for not timely paying your fines and not timely completing the alcohol classes. This could result in extra jail time and penalties on top of any conversion that the court may agree to.

As far as how much time you would get sentenced on, generally

In my opinion, if you cannot pay the fines, you are better off dealing with this situation sooner as opposed to later.   I would recommend that you have an attorney represent you at this hearing to try to mitigate this situation from further damage.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about anything I wrote.

Thanks and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Los Angeles DUI Lawyer and surrounding counties

Click here for statute for DUI